What does being happy really mean to you? It means so many different things to different people…it is actually a hard thing to quantify.
The dictionary says ‘The quality or state of being happy, contentment, joy’ and the list goes on!
I find now I am a MAGS it is easier for me to be happier within my life.
As we are still in January (just!) I decided this morning to write a list of some of the things that make me happy. After all, we all focus on starting the New Year right…I am beginning to think that instead of doing New Year resolutions, we should focus on being thankful for what we have! I was surprised – no longer do I think that getting that nice handbag or pair of shoes (that I never wear, because in the shop I think ‘of course I can walk in these heels’ and get home to find I can’t walk and they hurt!!) will make me happy.
Don’t get me wrong, I do love a good handbag, but it is not a priority in my life!
I was REALLY surprised that nothing on my list included anything that cost alot of money. Probably just as well – I don’t have any!! Even after years of working hard and long hours!
My list includes:
- Talking to my family, it doesn’t have to be about anything in particular, but just having time with them.
- My son – he makes me extremely happy! Everything about him!
- Cuddling up on the couch watching trashy TV with my husband. It isn’t really about the TV show, it is more about the fact we can just spend time together!
- Doing good things for myself. It might just be a bath for an hour, but it makes all the difference in the world!
- Doing good things for others (this is actually more satisfying to me than to them I think!). I like to think in some ways I can help make a difference! (maybe I don’t, but at least I try!!)
- Catching up with good friends. The ones that listen to you no matter what they have going on in their lives at the time.
- Having a cuddle with my bunny rabbit – yes, we got ourselves a baby bunny rabbit last year, and yes, she can be hard work (she likes ALOT of attention – she even sleeps in our bed with us now – I can’t help it, I spoil her rotten, and I am creating a monster!!)
- Working on different projects – I hate being bored, and need to be busy with different things!
- I am now more comfortable with myself and who I am than ever before…I try not to ‘sweat the small stuff’!
- Oncoming Menopause!!
I know – you are probably sitting there thinking I am some kind of nutter! After all, how can Menopause make me happy? Well, it is easy – yes, at the moment I can have some horrendous mood swings (which does not make the people around me happy I am sure!!), hot flushes, my ‘middle aged spread’ is there and more, but when it is all over, I will no longer have periods every month, no longer have to worry about getting pregnant, and I will just be able to live my life without the monthly drama!
Oh, I live for the day I don’t have to have my period anymore. I am well and truly tired of having it now!
So, what makes you happy? What does real happiness mean?
Well, as I said at the start – different things for different people. It will mean something different for you…but I hope it includes being more comfortable with yourself now that you are a MAGS!